Friday, April 30, 2010

Getting Healthier One Step at a Time

I am definitely losing weight and getting healthier but of course I have a long road ahead of me and my weight will probably always be somewhat of a struggle for me.  I wasn't always overweight and that is probably the most frustrating aspect of my weight for me now.  I gained the majority of my weight in my 30s.  I am about to turn 41 on May 18th.  There have been times over the last ten years that I have beat myself up inside wondering how did I let myself gain all of the weight that I have.  I have forgiven myself  for the weight gain and now my focus is to lose what I can sensibly and safely while getting healthier.

I think many of us, especially women, are not always completely satisfied with the way we look.  Some of us think we are too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, wish we could change a certain body part, etc.   A very wise person recently told me that to truly bring about change that you first have to accept who you are and what you have been given.  I have always had a more endowed butt, even when I was slimmer.  I use to want to change that...wished I had a smaller one.  I have learned over the years to accept what I have been given and work with it instead of against it.  I will probably never have a small behind, but with determination and dedication, I am hoping I can get more trim, fit, and healthier!! 

So many people have been very support of the challenges that I have been facing in trying to lose weight and get more fit.  They have said such things as "Don't give up" and "Keep up the good work".  Others have been negative and at times down right insensitive.  I know that I am over weight...I know that I need to lose weight...I don't need negative people telling me that I can't do it.  Maybe I can't, but it is only me that truly can decide what I can or can't accomplish.  

Being a cancer survivor, I feel like I have already won the race because I am still here on this earth.  Everything else is the icing on the cake.  Spending quality time with my two great kids, hanging with my friends and family, working on getting healthier and living life to its fullest is truly a gift.  I have lost too many family members and friends to cancer in recent years.  It is a disease that I have come to despise and hope that one day will be eradicated.  My biggest reason for wanting to lose weight and get heathier is not to fit into a certain size of a dress, or look more glamorous.  I want to LIVE and I know that there are no guarantees in life, but I also know that being healthier is helpful.

I would love moral support during this life altering journey and don't even mind the occasional "kick in the butt" to jump start my motivation if you think that I need it.  I don't need hurtful comments though.  We all have goals and things that we are working on and none of us are perfect.  I have not walked in your shoes and you have not walked in mine. 

I have posted a picture of the slimmer me for comparison...physically I have changed but in many ways I am still that younger, trimmer me.  I am still full of life, energetic and enthusiastic.  I still have a sense of humor and love to explore new places.  I am still hard working and have strong ethics.  I am still generous, kind, and compassionate.  I am also still stubborn and determined.  All of these things make me who I am...fat or slim!!! 

Have a good weekend everyone and don't give up on your own goals and dreams!!!

Pam :)





No comments:

Post a Comment